Tuesday, May 08, 2007

One hundred and one Swaziland destinations - #3: "Mealie brie drive-by"


Mealies.

Maize is a staple here. When still on the ear, it goes by the name “mealie”.

It is not quite like sweet corn. It is denser, heavier…and less sweet.

The roadside fire-roasted mealie is a Swazi classic. While I am sure it exists elsewhere, I have not seen it except here in the Kingdom.

Our roadside open fire restrictions are relatively lax, you might say.

So, the next time you are in Swaziland and see smoke on the roadside ahead, do not fear the worse.

Reach for spare change.

Each ear costs ~65 US cents.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've been reading your blog for a little while with great fascination. My fiance and I might be relocating to Swaziland in a couple months, and your posts have been one of the best sources of information! If you have a chance, drop me a line:
callista_chen@hotmail.com. Would love to ask you some more questions about your time there, if you wouldn't mind talking about it.

Cheers,
Callista

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked out your blog after reading about it in Duke Med Alumni News. You are such an inspiration to us all. Keep up the great work.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Thank you for the comments, Callista and Sara. Callista, I just sent you an email if you want to ask me more about Swaz. Cheers. -Ryan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home