Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why I love my job - Quote 7 of 10

“We are trying to have a sharing of experience.”

This quote came from a speaker phone sitting on the desk of our clinic’s executive director, Busi. We were having a conference call to discuss a new training collaboration between Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative, Swaziland and Elisabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Mozambique.

D.C., Houston, Mozambique, and Swaziland representatives of BIPAI and EGPAF were on the line.

I haven’t met the owner of the quoted voice (from the EGPAF Maputo office, I believe), but he spoke with authority and a French accent. From what I can gather, is quite excited about the undertaking, as am I.

The plan is to bring eight Mozambican physicians to our clinic (over 3-4 months) and introduce them to our pediatric HIV care and treatment program, while also learning about the challenges that they face in Mozambique.

For me, it is an opportunity to speak Portuguese, share the Baylor experience, and learn what it is like to do similar work in Mozambique.

The first visiting docs are scheduled to come in July.

Plenty of bloggable material will come of this, I am sure.

By the way, we saw 166 patients in clinic today, nine shy of yesterday’s all-time record. I need to go eat something, but will try to post a few more substantial entries soon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Yankie Doc - love the blog!!! Only 166 patients - come on man, I thought you guys were here to work :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home