Monday, February 12, 2007

What I have been up to – January-February, 2007


Creature sighting on one of our recent Swazi biking excursions.

In addition to this lizard, 2007 has so far brought with it plenty of work and play.

Play first. (Sort of like dessert first, I guess.) Pictures = several words, so have a look at the recent illustrated blog entries below, where you will find photos from recent weekend trips to Mozambique and South Africa's Drakensburg Mountains, as well as tales of my recreational gardening, Japanese cooking, and, for lack of a better word, my crashing of the Swazi harvest festival.

Work continues to be a privilege. The Baylor clinic here in Mbabane continues to grow. We saw 146 patients today, our largest volume so far, and did so with an efficiency that bodes well for our projected future growth. See the entry below titled “An old woman is looking for you” for a recent patient-related story. I have continued to spend some time in the government hospital See “Rounding with Dr. Akingbe” for more on the Mbabane Government Hospital.

As for our training activities, we are remodeling the curriculum to make it more appropriate for our health care worker audience (i.e. patient-based, not unnecessarily technical, and focused on the key elements of pediatric HIV care in Swaziland). We are developing a versatile HIV curriculum for laypeople and students, one that can be delivered to schools, community groups, etc. We have been audience to some interesting presentations ourselves, including one from Swaziland’s National ARV coordinator. (See summary of Dr. Okello’s talk below).

In other news:
- We have been visiting some of Swaziland’s many orphanages to coordinate appropriate training and testing efforts there.
- A colleague was stuck by a contaminated needle.
- I was diagnosed with latent TB.

(I will write about orphanages, needles, and my “positive” PPD soon.)

4 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I am really worried!

Valentine hugs and kisses from me to you!

Love,
Janie

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan:
I am Anu Narla's dad and I have been fortunate to read your blog for a number of months. I am truly impressed with your work, your commitment to help others and your reamrkable ability to comminicate. I wish you the very best.
Mohan

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Thank you for your comment. Please tell Anu I said hello. -Ryan

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiRyan,

I grew up in Swaziland and now live in CA. i was searching the web to get translations to write to my world vision sponsored child in Sitobela when I came across your blog. Facinating and I love your photos as i never took many when I was growing up. I don't know if you've discovered by now that that "lizard" is a "cameleon" and changes color according to foliage. I had several of them a pets growing up. They have long sticky tongues and are great as fly catchers for you.
Thanks for your great work with the Swazi people!
Peace!
Leigh
swazileigh@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home