Friday, February 02, 2007

Something to smile about - An excerpt from Bush's State of the Union



I missed the live coverage of this speech (in Swaziland, of course, there was none), but recently read the transcript. The following, no doubt delivered with some amount of Texan flair, stood out. This blog is not meant to be particularly political, but I can say that, though the politics and politicians of my homeland often give me pause, PEPFAR makes me proud.

"American foreign policy is more than a matter of war and diplomacy. Our work in the world is also based on a timeless truth: To whom much is given, much is required. We hear the call to take on the challenges of hunger, poverty, and disease -- and that is precisely what America is doing. We must continue to fight HIV/AIDS, especially on the continent of Africa -- and because you funded our Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the number of people receiving life-saving drugs has grown from 50,000 to more than 800,000 in three short years. I ask you to continue funding our efforts to fight HIV/AIDS."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home