Thursday, January 04, 2007

Et tu?


Happy 2007.
Parson the recent lull in my entires...

The new year has been distracting. I blame Caesar for that.

You see, Caesar is credited with moving the New Year from the Vernal Equinox to January 1 and the Babylonians are credited with the first New Year's resolutions. New Year’s resolutions go back about 4000 years, when the ancient Babylonians resolved to return any farming equipment they borrowed during the year to their rightful owners in time for the start of the new year, then the vernal equinox (~ March 23).

Well, the ancient Babylonians might be surprised to learn that returning farm equipment did not make the US government's official website (www.firstgov.gov) discussing the most popular US resolutions.

They are as follows:
Lose Weight
Pay Off Debt
Save Money
Get a Better Job
Get Fit
Eat Right
Get a Better Education
Drink Less Alcohol
Quit Smoking Now
Reduce Stress Overall
Reduce Stress at Work
Take a Trip
Volunteer to Help Others

I will reserve comment on these, except to say that, in my opinion, it is a good thing that half of them relate directly to health, and that volunteerism is a deserving resolution #13.

The Babylonians would have liked #13, as it relates to giving something back.

As for my resolutions, I am still trying to come up with some I can keep.

Here is one: I will continue blogging and get better at it.

Thus resolved, I will write more soon...

2 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan: I just wanted to thank you for mentioning Young Heroes in a previous entry. Thanks to you, we just received a sizeable donation. Utamatama, matota. Steve Kallaugher

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

You are very welcome. -Ryan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home